Friday, October 15, 2010

Why I love to share food.

Food is a wonderful way to communicate........

I recently found myself with an abundance of salad greens so I decided to share it around. We have been pretty flat out since we moved into our house and I had not got around to meeting our neighbours. This was my opportunity to meet someone new.

I had my bucket of greens and I could see there was someone gardening across the street so Lilly and I went over. We started talking and it turns out they are one of the orginal residents of the street. I learnt about the history suburb and who lives here in my street.

It doesn't take long to discover that our neighbours are also growing food in their backyard. Sveta and Val are Macadonian and have an amazingly productive backyard. Sveta is from a family of farmers and clearly knows her stuff. She is growing everything from tomatoes, eggplant and capsicum from seed. There is even a mini poly tunnel specially for raising seedlings.

It was really interesting to see their backyard and chat about how they do things. Lilly was shown around by Sveta's daughter and had a wonderful time. They were very happy for the greens and I went home with some fresh onions. No doubt we will be sharing plenty more food.

No comments:

Post a Comment